North Zone of Indian Railways operates Delhi Suburban Service, facilitating local commuting between different locations in and around Delhi, such as Ghaziabad, Panipat, Palwal, Shakurbasti Muzaffarnagar, Shamli, Gurgaon etc, which are mostly on EMU, MEMU tractions, including passenger trains and DMU type trains running upto Rewari in Haryana, connecting different locations in the National Capital Region.
Apart from these, another stream of Railways called Delhi Ring Railway which can also be considered Delhi local train service, which is a circular rail network running parallel to the Ring , brought for better use during the 1982 Asian Games although this train service was started in 1975 to service goods.
Much sophisticated Metro rail having come into operation, these Delhi local trains are more sought after particularly for their fare structure and scope of carrying luggage in a convenient manner.
Delhi Local Train Time Table
Detailed local train time table Delhi has been published covering various destinations, defined timings of arrival and departure at each point, which cover combinations of various routes, such as
- Ghaziabad to Kosikalan, via Old Delhi, New Delhi, Faridabad and Palwal
- Ghaziabad to Palwal, via Old Delhi , New Delhi and Faridabad
- Ghaziabad to Mathur, via Old Delhi , New Delhi , Faridabad , Palwal and Kosikalan
- Ghaziabad to Old Delhi and New Delhi
- Ghaziabad to Palwal , covering Anand Vihar, New Delhi and Faridabad
- H Nizamuddin to Kosikalan via Faridabadand Palwal
- New Delhi to Palwal
- New Delhi to Shakurbasti
- Shakurbasti to Dankaur via Old Delhi, Ghaziabad and Dankaur
- Shakurbasti to Palwal, via Old Delhi, New Delhi , H Nizamuddin and Faridabad
- Shakurbasti to Aligarh covering New Delhi, Ghaziabad and Khurza
- Shakurbasti to Ballabgarh, covering New Delhi and Fardabad
- Shakurbasti to Mathura via Old Delhi New Delhi, H Nizamuddin ,Faridabad and Palwal
- Old Delhi to Rewari via Gurgaon
- Old Delhi to Muzaffarnagar
- Old Delhi to Shamli
The circular route of Ring rail Delhi local train time table covers 35km, taking 90-120 minutes to complete, both ways touching Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station running all the time from 8 am to 7 pm, operating seven trains clockwise and six anti-clockwise, at a peak frequency of 60-90 min., during the morning and evening rush hours.
Delhi Local Train Future
EMUs that are operated as local trains in Delhi are run with 12 coaches, ten of them as general compartments and two for ladies, there are more than 110 suburban trains plying on important sections, most of them often crowded beyond their passenger capacity during peak hours.
The fare structure of Delhi local trains being economical and inexpensive, for instance ,a return ticket for the entire journey in the Ring rail costing Rs 12, as compared to Delhi Metro tariff, which would around Rs 60, for the same distance covered, it is naturally preferred by poor and middle-class families, with the growing popularity.
However, the future of Delhi local trains, with the fast moving and more comfortable Metro Rail operations, while the focus on expansion of suburban service doubted by public, there have been reports of expanding the Suburban services , feasibility studies having been conducted in response to the commuter demand, with plans to start EMU services from Gurgaon and an integrated rail-bus transit (IRBT) system to link Delhi with the satellite towns of Gurgaon, Ghaziabad, and Sahibabad.